Date(s) - 21 Jul 2018
7:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre
Become a wildlife explorer for a day and discover what’s living right on your doorstep by joining in our Living Seas Bioblitz!
Our team of experienced naturalists and wildlife watchers need your help to find and identify as many different species as we can before the time runs out.
We’ll be searching for marine mammals, seashore and coastal life, birds, bugs, bats and much more.
Just like a real scientific expedition, everything we find will be documented and passed on to local and national databases that monitor our local wildlife. With interactive activities for all ages, beginners and experts alike there is something for everyone at a BioBlitz. Join the #wewantwildlife citizen science campaign!
- Fin and Fluke surveys 7am-7pm – help our Living Seas Volunteers to spot marine mammals from New Quay harbour wall. Drop by anytime during the day – booking not required.
- Seashore Safari – explore the local rock pools, searching for crabs, anemones, seaweed and much more! We are running 3 sessions at the following times – 9:30am-10:30am, 10:30am-11:30am and 11:30am-12:30am. BOOKING ESSENTIAL.
- Strandline Search 11am-1pm – comb the local strandline looking for mermaids purses, whelk egg cases, shells and more. BOOKING ESSENTIAL
- Moth trap opening 8am-10am – come along and meet a few of our marvellous moths, and identify them with the help of Ceredigion moth group (the moths will be released afterwards). Booking not required.
- Wildlife Walk 10am-11:30am – join local expert Red Liford for a stroll along the coast path, recording birds and a range of other species along the way! BOOKING ESSENTIAL.
- Underwater Life 10:30am-12pm – the Seasearch diving team will be on the harbour wall to show you some of the under water wildlife they find
- Plankton Lab 11am-1pm – drop into our education room and discover microscopic marine life with Professor Brent
- Butterflies, dragonflies and more 12pm-1:30pm – take a walk on the wild side with Vaughn Matthews of the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales conservation team. (BOOKING ESSENTIAL)
- Birds of New Quay 1pm-3pm – pop down to the Harbour wall between 1 and 3 pm to join one of our Living Seas team for a bird watch (booking not required)
- Bumblebee Walk 2pm-3:30pm – join Clare Flynn from Bumblebee Conservation Trust to help her track down some of our native bumblebees.
- Mammal Monitoring 7pm-8:30pm – Josie Bridges from The Vincent Wildlife Trust will be here to track down the small and furry (and occasionally spiny) examples of our local wildlife. (Booking not required)
- Going Batty on the Beach 9pm-11pm – guided bat walk on the beach. BOOKING ESSENTIAL.
Check back for more information on activities and interactive sessions. To book please call 01545 560224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org