Archives

Trewalkin Meadow

Trewalkin Meadow - meadow flora

Trewalkin Meadow is a small, damp, flower-rich meadow at the foot of the Black Mountains between Llangorse and Talgarth. It is how much of Brecknock would have looked 60 years ago, before the habitat was lost due to changes in farming.

Wern Plemys

Wern Plemys meadows and woodlands

The reserve consists of three wildflower meadows and a large area of woodland. The reserve lies on the site of a former coal-mine and is a wonderful example of how nature can reclaim an area.

Vicarage Meadows

Vicarage Meadows west field and scabious

This wildflower-rich meadow and wet pasture is set on the side of a hill in the Irfon valley and lies adjacent to the Nant Irfon National Nature Reserve.

Many years ago, the local vicarage owned Vicarage Meadows. The fields provided a hay crop and a place to graze horses and cows. The small stone barn was used as a shelter for milking cows.

We continue to use traditional management methods with a hay crop being taken off one field and Exmoor ponies grazing the whole site, giving the reserve’s many wildflowers the chance to flourish.

Darren Fawr

Darren Fawr

Darren Fawr is the largest and most spectacular of the Trust’s reserves. It consists of a steep hill-side, covered with loose, grey limestone scree, cliffs and an undulating hill-top with good views of the surrounding landscape.

Pen y Waun

Pen y Waun cowslip meadow

The Pen y Waun nature reserve consists of two small fields situated on the edge of Waun-y-Mynach common. The fields were former garden plots for nearby cottages.

Craig y Rhiwarth

View from Craig y Rhiwarth

This reserve contains some of the finest examples of limestone plant communities in Brecknock. The reserve contains more than 400 species of trees, flowers, moss and lichens.

Glasbury Cutting

Glasbury Cutting - the old railway has been reclaimed by nature to create a wooded wildlife corridor

This nature reserve used to be part of the railway line from Brecon to Hereford. Parts of the railway were built along the line of the earlier 1818 Brecon to Eardisley horse-drawn tramroad that carried coal and wool. The railway company opened the line for steam in 1864. In 1962 the line closed and in 1970 it became a nature reserve.

Cae Bryntywarch

Cae Bryntywarch and its common cotton grass meadow

This wildflower meadow has always been managed traditionally with grazing by cattle or ponies from spring to autumn. This kind of rough, damp grassland is known in Wales as Rhos pasture and is becoming rare. Please keep dogs on a lead as skylarks often nest within the rough grass.