Archives

Cae Pwll y Bo

Cae Pwll y Bo globeflowers

This small damp meadow is known for its spectacular display of globeflowers.

The reserve is all that remains of a much larger field that was originally part of Pwll y Bo farm (Hobgoblin pool in Welsh).

Wern Plemys

Wern Plemys meadows and woodlands

The reserve consists of three wildflower meadows and a large area of woodland. The reserve lies on the site of a former coal-mine and is a wonderful example of how nature can reclaim an area.

Allt Rhongyr

Allt Rhongyr

Allt Rhongyr is within the Brecon Beacons National Park, adjacent to Craig y Rhiwarth Nature Reserve and offers dramatic views of the Tawe Valley. It features a diverse mix of limestone grassland, acidic grassland and woodland and it was once the site of an iron age hillfort. The site is now managed by grazing under an agri-environment scheme.

Darren Fawr

Darren Fawr

Darren Fawr is the largest and most spectacular of the Trust’s reserves. It consists of a steep hill-side, covered with loose, grey limestone scree, cliffs and an undulating hill-top with good views of the surrounding landscape.

Pen y Waun

Pen y Waun cowslip meadow

The Pen y Waun nature reserve consists of two small fields situated on the edge of Waun-y-Mynach common. The fields were former garden plots for nearby cottages.

Cae Eglwys

Cae Eglwys meadow

This reserve is a good example of a traditional wildflower meadow, a rare habitat in these days of intensively managed farmland where large quantities of both fertiliser and grazing animals are applied to meadows that may have once looked like this, but are now bright green with very few plant species surviving.

Craig y Rhiwarth

View from Craig y Rhiwarth

This reserve contains some of the finest examples of limestone plant communities in Brecknock. The reserve contains more than 400 species of trees, flowers, moss and lichens.

Glasbury Cutting

Glasbury Cutting - the old railway has been reclaimed by nature to create a wooded wildlife corridor

This nature reserve used to be part of the railway line from Brecon to Hereford. Parts of the railway were built along the line of the earlier 1818 Brecon to Eardisley horse-drawn tramroad that carried coal and wool. The railway company opened the line for steam in 1864. In 1962 the line closed and in 1970 it became a nature reserve.

Coed Dyrysiog

Coed Dyrysiog bluebells

A beautiful area of ancient woodland and unusually a registered common that slopes down to the banks of the Nant Bran.

This is a lovely place to come for a peaceful woodland walk with just the sound of the Nant Bran below you and the woodland birds above you.