The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales as it stands has only been in existence since April 2002 formed by merger of Wildlife Trust West Wales and Glamorgan Wildlife Trust but it has a long history of protecting wildlife which started before the Second World War in Pembrokeshire.
The history of the name changes started off in west Wales as Pembrokeshire Bird Society in 1938. In 1945, with Ronald Lockley as Chairman, the Society changed its name to The West Wales Field Society (WWFS). 1961 led to the adoption of Memorandum & Articles of Association of a Naturalists’ Trust and with this WWFS became The West Wales Naturalists’ Trust (WWNT) in 1962. It later became known as West Wales Trust for Nature Conservation and changed to Dyfed Wildlife Trust in 1988 and in 1997 it eventually became known as Wildlife Trust, West Wales.
Glamorgan County Naturalists’ Trust (GCNT) was founded in January 1961. In 1984, following the county of Glamorgan being split into West, Mid and South, the GCNT changed its name to the Glamorgan Trust for Nature Conservation (GTCN) and then in 1987 to The Glamorgan Wildlife Trust.
Both Wildlife Trust West Wales and Glamorgan Wildlife Trust retained these names until the merger in 2002.