Date(s) - 5 Sep 2018
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Date: Wednesday 5th September 2018
Time: 10am – 4pm
Venue: Parc Slip Wildlife Trust Centre & Nature Reserve
Tutor: Nia Howells, Natural Talent trainee based at the National Museum of Wales
Price : £10
Leafhoppers, planthoppers and froghoppers are abundant insects in a wide range of habitats, and are increasingly used in site quality assessment and monitoring.
Over 400 species have been recorded in Britain, yet this group is often largely looked over. Even casual sightings of common species can contribute to filling major gaps in geographic coverage and thereby help to improve our knowledge of their distribution, ecology and conservation significance. Get a taste for these insects at a workshop providing participants with an introduction to the ecology and identification of leafhoppers, planthoppers and froghoppers.
The workshop will cover:
• An introduction to leafhoppers, their biology/ecology, the major groups, literature and keys.
• Introduction to Identification; the main characters used in identification, setting up microscopes and lights.
• Tutor-led identification of species followed by keying at own pace.
• Field collecting in different habitats around the field centre, including rough grassland, pond margins and woodland.
• Identifying materials collected, interspersed with short talks on: collecting techniques; habitats; biological recording; the national recording scheme and submitting records.
- Booking is essential. Limited places available, to avoid disappointment ensure you book early.
- Payment can be made by debit/credit card over the phone or by cash on the day.
- Lunch can be bought from the Parc Slip Wildlife Trust Visitor Centre Coffee Shop.
- Due to the workshop being partly field based, please bring suitable footwear and clothing.
- Please note that there will be no refunds for any cancellations within two weeks of the course; there will be an administrative charge of £5 for all other cancellations. Should WTSWW have to cancel the course the full fee will be refunded.
For further information, and to book your place, please contact Megan via email or call 01656 724100.