Did you know that there is more space managed as garden in the UK than all nature reserves put together? Imagine what a difference we could make if everyone did something for wildlife in their gardens. The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales are reaching out to Cardiff residents to encourage people to garden with wildlife in mind.
The Wildlife Trust’s ‘My Wild Cardiff’ project, funded with the generous support of the players of People’s Postcode Lottery, is helping people around Cardiff welcome their wildlife neighbours into their gardens.
As part of the My Wild Cardiff project, The Wildlife Trust are creating a ‘Pop-up’ Wildlife Garden in Cardiff’s largest park. Designed by Shani Lawrence Garden Designs, the garden features a pond, a living lawn, a green roof and plenty of homes for wildlife. The temporary garden will serve to inspire visitors and give them ideas as to how they can improve their own gardens for wildlife.
Rose Revera, The Wildlife Trust’s People and Wildlife Officer who is running the My Wild Cardiff project, says “Anything that people can do in their gardens to create more habitat for wildlife in the area will help species such as hedgehogs, bumblebees, butterflies and birds. Creating a network of green areas will strengthen the populations that are seriously struggling, rather than them being confined to a single green area with limited resources. We hope that our pop-up wildlife garden will educate and inspire people to help their wild neighbours.”
The garden will be open to visitors from Monday 7th August until Sunday 20th August, 10:30am – 6pm. Find us next to the Summerhouse Café in Bute Park.
Come and visit us!
For more information, contact Rose via 01656 724100 or Email.
Notes for editor:
Contact – Rebecca Vincent, Marketing & Communications Officer; Email – 01656 724100.
Credit Photos: Photos are for a one time use and to be credited to the photographer who’s name can be found in the image title.
Our website: www.welshwildlife.org
The Trust – The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales is the largest charitable organisation working exclusively on all aspects of wildlife conservation in south and west Wales. Our mission is to protect and improve habitats and wildlife in our local area as well as helping people to enjoy and understand their local wildlife. Our vision is for an environment rich in wildlife for everyone. We achieve this through:
Acquiring and managing nature reserves – we currently manage around 85 nature reserves throughout South and West Wales (including Skomer and Skokholm islands). From ancient woodland to wetland, wildflower meadow to marsh, reed bed to heathland, they contain a rich variety of species, many extremely rare. These nature reserves form a land holding equal to approximately 4,000 acres. Of these reserves 10 lie within Special Areas of Conservation and Special Protection Areas, seven are National Nature Reserves (NNRs), 40 are Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) and five are Scheduled Ancient Monuments.
Acting as wildlife champions – by advising on policy and planning, campaigning on wildlife issues, and protecting wildlife beyond our reserves. We provide habitat and species management advice directly to those managing land and we also work with key partners and local people to promote habitat enhancement and restoration.
Helping people understand, protect and celebrate their environment – the Trust promotes the view that people from all sections of society should have access to wildlife and the natural world for enjoyment, learning, and well-being. We invest in the future by helping all ages to gain a better understanding of nature. Our work with schools and our junior club, Wildlife Watch, is enjoyed by hundreds of children.
People’s Postcode Lottery
• People’s Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes, while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally
• A minimum of 30% goes directly to charities and players have raised £212.8 Million for good causes across the country
• £10 for 10 draws paid monthly in advance with prizes every day. For further prize information visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes
• Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000
• Players can sign up by Direct Debit, credit card or PayPal online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5
• Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under licences number: 000-000829-N-102511-014 and Number: 000-000829-R-102513-013. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR
• People’s Postcode Lottery manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different charities. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society
• This prize was part of the draw promoted by People’s Postcode Trust
Shani Lawrence Garden Designs
Shani is an award winning garden designer based in Pembrokeshire.
Shani has been friendly with wildlife since childhood, when she could be found rooting around for spiders and ladybirds. She now incorporates homes for her former playmates in the gardens of her unsuspecting clients. Shani likes to design wildlife-friendly, sustainable gardens that are places of relaxation and wonder. Contact Shani to unleash her creativity on your patch.