18/10/2017: Bottlenose dolphins and Atlantic grey seal

2hr survey. Start time 09:00
Weather conditions: Sunny, sea state 2, wind direction NE

A group of between 7-9 bottlenose dolphins was visible for the entirety of the survey yesterday morning, the group, which included at least one juvenile were visible foraging close to the cardinal marker as well as foraging and leaping in areas further offshore North and East of the cardinal marker. The survey ended with two separate group of dolphins present, one including two individuals close foraging at the cardinal marker and a group of five leaping and circling on the surface just North-West of the cardinal marker.

2hr survey. Start time 11:00
Weather conditions: Sunny, sea state 2, wind direction NE/E/SE

The group spotted in the previous survey were still present in the first half-hour of this survey with three separate groups of bottlenose dolphins foraging near and around the cardinal marker. At 11:30, after a boat encounter, two of the groups merged and a group of six dolphins travelled West across the bay before disappearing around the headland, leaving one dolphin near the cardinal marker, which soon followed the large group from the bay. At 12:15 two bottlenose dolphins, including one juvenile reappeared from round the headland, travelling West to East across the bay, they were joined by another dolphin at the cardinal marker where they foraged for the remainder of the survey.

2hr survey. Start time 13:00
Weather conditions: Overcast/sunny, sea state 1-2, wind direction SE

Bottlenose dolphins were seen for the first hour of this survey, along with one female Atlantic grey seal. Seven bottlenose dolphins, including two calves, were seen travelling into the bay where they had been foraging near the headland, milling at the surface near the cardinal marker and then travelling back out towards the headland.

2hr survey. Start time 15:00
Weather conditions: Sunny/overcast, sea state 2, wind direction S

Two bottlenose dolphins were observed travelling into the bay, where one remained foraging near the cardinal marker for the first hour and fifteen minutes while the other travelled back out. An Atlantic grey seal was seen swimming near the harbour wall in the last fifteen minutes.